What is ambulance transport
We can fund ambulance transport for emergency and clinically required non-emergency transport.
Who can receive it
We may pay for ambulance transport if you have a:
- Gold Card and you need clinical treatment for any health condition; or
- White Card and you need treatment for a condition covered by your card
What you can receive
We may fund emergency ambulance transport to your nearest medical centre or hospital that meets your clinical needs.
We may also pay for non-emergency ambulance transport if you:
- need transport on a stretcher
- are incontinent to a degree that prevents the use of other forms of transport
- are significantly disfigured; or
- need treatment while in the ambulance
How you access
- In an emergency dial 000. For non-emergency ambulance transport, your health provider can make arrangements.
- If possible, notify the ambulance operator of your Gold or White Card details.
Things you should know
- Consider if you should take out general ambulance cover. We may not fund ambulance transport in all instances.
- When travelling interstate we can provide ambulance transport to the closest medical facility. that meets your clinical needs.
- When travelling overseas you may be able to claim for emergency ambulance transport to the closest medical facility, that meets your clinical need. This would only be if you need the ambulance due to an accepted service-related injury or condition.
- When travelling consider taking out travel insurance. We can not bring you home from your holiday if you need hospitalisation.
- If you need ambulance transport between hospitals you need to speak with your hospital..
- If you get a bill for eligible ambulance transport do not pay it and contact us.
- If you travel by ambulance, your carers travel expenses are not funded by us.
- We don't cover ambulance transport from a permanent residential aged care facility to another, unless your care needs have changed.
Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986
Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence related Claims) Act 1988
What other help is available
Make a transport booking
A booked taxi or hire car service to take you between your home and an approved treatment location.
Reimbursing travel expenses under MRCA or DRCA
We can reimburse you some of your travel expenses if you attend medical and some other appointments.
Reimbursing travel expenses under VEA
We can reimburse you some travel expenses to assist you to attend medical and some other appointments.
Your state or territory may provide a range of concessions.