There is support available for you and your family if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
For assistance and to get the support you need, you can:
You can also go to one of our Veterans’ Access Network offices to talk to someone about your situation.
- refer you to support services in your local area
- connect you with our support services
- provide you with information on any support payments available to you
- provide you with information about Services Australia (Centrelink) payments and services
- refer you to Services Australia (Centrelink) for support
- connect you to a network of organisations that can assist you
If you need urgent help, please visit our Receive urgent help and support page. If life is in danger call triple zero (000).
Ex-service organisations (ESOs) provide assistance to current and former members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF). They may help you to:
- lodge your claims with us
- find an advocate
- prepare for the civilian workforce
- connect with other former serving members and their families
A number of ESOs can provide you with specific support when you are at risk of homelessness or are homeless.
You can find an ESO offering homelessness support close to you:
To find information about other ex-service organisations refer to Find an ex-service organisation or you can search through the Engage website.
A crisis payment may be paid to you to help you find somewhere to live or you need to change accommodation because of family violence.
To receive a crisis payment you need to be:
- receiving service pension, income support supplement or age pension through us
- have made a claim for one of these payments
- living in Australia
- be eligible to receive payment
- in severe financial hardship
More information about the crisis payment can be found on our Crisis payment page.
To access the crisis accommodation program you need to call Open Arms on 1800 011 046. They will assess your eligibility and suitability for the program.
If you are eligible, they will book you into an accommodation as close as possible to your current location.
Who is eligible
The program is open to:
- current members of the ADF
- former members of the ADF
- their partner
- a dependent child
We can refer you to a homelessness agency in your local area. Some of the services available for people at risk of, or experiencing homelessness in Australia are:
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
- Shelter Me provides an online directory of homeless services across the Northern Territory
The following ESOs provide homelessness services to veterans and their families:
To list your organisation’s information to this page, please contact us through our General enquiries form.
We are committed to better understanding homelessness and the risk factors for former members of the ADF. The most recent research into veteran homelessness includes: