We can provide a range of services and devices to help with your hearing loss or condition through the following programs:
HSP provides hearing assessments, services and devices at no cost to eligible veterans and their families.
RAP program provides access to Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs) such as:
- headsets for watching TV
- personal amplification for people who do not want to wear hearing aids
These items cannot be sourced through the HSP. These are provided at no cost through us.
The Tinnitus Program can arrange for:
- specialised hearing aids and devices which can assist you with sleep
Information about other programs is also available at the Department of Health’s Hearing Services Program.
You can receive services if you are:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident; and
- 21 years or older
You also need to:
Through the hearing services program you will have access to over 160 hearing devices at no cost.
Once your application has been approved, you will be able to have:
- a hearing assessment
- treatment and follow up
- product education and support
- a fitting for your hearing device
- maintenance of your device during warranty period
Please see the Hearing Services Program website for more information.
You can apply:
- directly through the HSP website (you will need to provide a medical certificate to complete your application); or
- ask your hearing service provider to complete an application for you
If you have chronic or disturbing tinnitus, speak to your hearing provider about accessing our Tinnitus Program. Your hearing provider can discuss this with you.
If you are a resident of Norfolk Island, contact us to discuss access to hearing services.
Telephone Typewriter (TTY) users: 1800 500 726.
Contact us if you are having difficulty locating services in your area.
You should tell us if you:
- lose your device or it is damaged
- plan to move overseas
- If you are under the age of 26 with a hearing impairment you may be eligible to seek support through NDIS hearing supports.
Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986
Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence‑related Claims) Act 1988