Hearing services

What are hearing services

We can provide a range of services and devices to help with your hearing loss or condition through the following programs:

Hearing Services Program (HSP)

HSP provides hearing assessments, services and devices at no cost to eligible veterans and their families.

DVA Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP)

RAP program provides access to Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs) such as: 

  • headsets for watching TV
  • personal amplification for people who do not want to wear hearing aids

These items cannot be sourced through the HSP. These are provided at no cost through us.

DVA Tinnitus Program 

The Tinnitus Program can arrange for: 

  • assessments
  • treatment
  • specialised hearing aids and devices which can assist you with sleep

Other initiatives

Information about other programs is also available at the Department of Health’s Hearing Services Program.

Who can receive it

You can receive services if you are:

  • an Australian citizen or permanent resident; and
  • 21 years or older

You also need to:

What you can receive

Through the hearing services program you will have access to over 160 hearing devices at no cost.

Once your application has been approved, you will be able to have:

  • a hearing assessment
  • treatment and follow up
  • product education and support
  • a fitting for your hearing device 
  • maintenance of your device during warranty period

Please see the Hearing Services Program website for more information.

How you access

You can apply:

  • directly through the HSP website (you will need to provide a medical certificate to complete your application); or 
  • ask your hearing service provider to complete an application for you

If you have chronic or disturbing tinnitus, speak to your hearing provider about accessing our Tinnitus Program. Your hearing provider can discuss this with you.

If you are a resident of Norfolk Island, contact us to discuss access to hearing services.

Telephone Typewriter (TTY) users: 1800 500 726.

Contact us if  you are having difficulty locating services in your area.

What to tell us

You should tell us if you:

  • lose your device or it is damaged
  • plan to move overseas

Things you should know

  • If you are under the age of 26 with a hearing impairment you may be eligible to seek support through NDIS hearing supports


Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986

Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004

Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence‑related Claims) Act 1988