Mental health support services

When you may need support

Support can help you develop skills to manage:

  • anxiety and depression 
  • stress or anger 
  • trauma
  • poor sleep
  • social isolation
  • addiction
  • relationship challenges
  • grief and loss
  • dealing with change  

Options to support your mental health and wellbeing

If you have served at least one day in the Australian Defence Force (ADF), including reservists, several options are available to support your mental health and wellbeing. 

Consult a general practitioner (GP)

Start by talking to your GP. Your GP can:

  • refer you to the right medical professionals 
  • provide you with a comprehensive Veteran Health Check

Talk to a mental health professional

If you have served at least one day in the ADF, you can access free mental health care. You may be able to access professional counselling by:

Try some self-help tools

AT-Ease is our health and wellbeing portal. AT-Ease helps you stay healthy, recognise the signs and symptoms of mental health issues and understand the available support to help you live your best life.

Support and services for your family 

If you are supporting someone you care for, it's important to also look after your own mental health and wellbeing. 

Other support services 

Lifeline Australia

Provides free support services if you are in crisis and need to talk to someone.


Provides 24-hour counselling services to help you cope with sexual assault or violence.

Head to Health

Head to Health provides resources and links to a variety of websites and apps to support veteran mental health and wellbeing 

Joint Health Command

The ADF Health & Wellbeing Portal ‘Fighting Fit’ directs you to a wide range of Defence websites containing information on ADF Health and Mental Health services and support.

Ex-service organisations

Connect with an Ex-service organisation in your local area. These organisations may be able to provide you with support and resources.

Relationships Australia 

Offers a broad range of services to individuals, families and communities across the country such as counselling, mediation, and family dispute resolution. Contact your state-based Relationships Australia service on 1300 364 277.

Other help that may be available

Mental health injury or condition that relates to your service

If you believe your mental health condition is service-related, you can make a claim for extra benefits. 

Medical treatment and counselling for F-111 maintenance workers

Help with treatment costs and counselling services if you were involved in F-111 deseal/reseal and other fuel tank maintenance programs.

Veteran Payment

Provides you with a regular income while we work on your claim for a mental health condition.

Faster access to Incapacity Payments

We may be able to help you access Incapacity Payments faster if you have certain accepted mental health conditions.

Lump Sum Advance

You can ask us to pay some of your pension or Income Support Supplement early as a lump sum.

Crisis Payment

A one off payment to help with severe financial hardship and difficult circumstances.