Information and resources for health providers and contracted suppliers. Learn how to prescribe or supply medical grade footwear to eligible clients.
What is Medical Grade Footwear
Medical grade footwear (MGF) may be provided when suitable everyday shoes cannot fit or be modified because of a:
- deformity of either or both the foot or the ankle
- abnormality of either or both the foot or the ankle
Medical grade footwear includes:
- ready-made extra depth and/or width footwear
- custom-made footwear manufactured by a contracted supplier to fit a client's individual foot and/or ankle structure.
Medical grade footwear does not include:
- everyday footwear that can be purchased from a retail shop (sneakers, casual shoes, formal shoes)
- inappropriate styles of shoes (slippers, slip-on shoes, open-toed shoes, high-heeled shoes or orthotic shoes)
- shoes for the primary purpose of accommodating orthosis
Who can receive MGF
Our clients may be eligible for MGF if they have been clinically assessed as having a deformity or abnormality of either or both the foot or the ankle. They must hold either a:
Who can prescribe
You can prescribe MGF if you are a podiatrist or medical specialist such as a:
- vascular surgeon
- orthopaedic surgeon
- rehabilitation specialist
Before a podiatrist can assess the client you must have a valid referral from a:
- general practitioner (GP)
- medical specialist
- health professional as part of hospital discharge
Before you prescribe
Assessing health providers must follow the rules and supply limits in our guidelines:
Before you treat a client with a Veteran White Card you must check their eligibility by contacting our provider line 1800 550 457.
How to prescribe MGF
As a health provider you need to complete Section A of the current prescription form:
Then send the prescription form to a contracted MGF supplier:
When required, the contracted MGF supplier will seek prior approval from us. The supplier will send the MGF to you as the assessing health provider to issue to the client, unless you have made other arrangements with the supplier.
If you are prescribing ready-made MGF you can either:
- select a shoe from the ready-made register
- specify the required features of the shoe that can be sourced from the ready-made MGF register.
Register of DVA-approved ready-made MGF footwear (XLS 39 KB)
Custom made MGF
If you are prescribing custom made MGF you will need to specify:
- the shoe requirements
- any modifications to accommodate the foot function and structure
If you are prescribing recreational MGF ensure the client is already using a pair of MGF. Attach a letter from the client's registered sporting club advising:
- their current financial membership and playing status
- the sporting club’s requirements for specific soled footwear to play; for example specific bowling shoes, golf shoes.
Within one to two months of issuing the MGF to the client you should:
- arrange a review consultation with the client to check the quality, fit and suitability of the MGF
- complete Section C of the prescription form and keep it with the client's records. You are not required to send this to us.
For podiatrists, this review consultation can be claimed under item code F019 of the DVA Podiatry Schedule of Fees
This process is vital to:
- maintain the warranty on the MGF supplied
- assess the issued footwear’s function and fit prior to requesting more pairs of MGF
As a contracted supplier, you must:
- accept the assessing health provider's prescription (Section A of the current prescription form)
- work with the client and the assessing health provider to supply the MGF according to the prescription
- measure, fit and trial the MGF with the client
- seek prior approval from us when we require it
- complete and send Section B of the prescription form to the assessing health provider
- send the MGF to the assessing health provider to issue to the client, unless you have made other arrangements with the provider.
Current prescription form
Contracted suppliers must follow the rules set out in our:
Terms and conditions
Register of ready made MGF footwear
List of MGF contracted suppliers
Obtaining prior approval
You must obtain prior approval from us for:
- custom made MGF
- recreational MGF
- when supply is above two pairs of MGF
- repairs and modifications not listed in the Medical Grade Footwear Schedule Fees
- Veteran White Card holders. The assessing health provider should have checked with us before submitting the prescription form to you.
Complete Section B of the prescription form received from the assessing health provider and send to AMBRAPMGF [at] dva.gov.au with supporting documentation.
To speak to us about MGF you can:
- call our Health Provider Line on 1800 550 457
- email: AMBRAPMGF [at] dva.gov.au